As soon as possible
- If a tenant, notify landlord right away and before moving do an inventory with landlord and claim back deposit
- Organise material conditions of move
- Call a professional mover to protect against the risk of theft or damage
- Check to see if your removals company is registered (http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/Liste-des-entreprises-inscrites.html)
- Time off from work may be granted. Speak to your human resources department
Ensure stability for children’s school
- Enrol children in new school (when moving during the summer)
- Request a change of school or keep children in their old school (if you move during the school year)
- Make arrangements if necessary for children’s care outside of school hours
Within 2 months before the move
- Inform various agencies by updating contracts & subscriptions
- Family Allowances Fund (CAF) formulaire cerfa n°11361*02
- Primary health insurance fund (CPAM). Call 3646
- Pension (retraite) Call 3960
- Complementary health insurance (mututelle)
- Tax office
- EDF , France Telecom, Internet Provider
- Work: Inform employer or unemployment centre (ANPE).
- Banking: inform all bank accounts
- Insurance: home, car, life and civil responsibility insurance.
- Contact energy suppliers (gas and electricity) and advise the companies that manage other accounts or subscriptions, past or future, including:
- Water services
- Telephone operators
- Internet providers
- In cases of financial difficulties, ask for assistance to pay invoices.
TIP: From two months before the move you can notify for free your change of address to several organisations in one go online:
- Tax office
- Family allowance (Caf, MSA)
- Pension (CNAV, Cram ...)
- Health insurance (CPAM ...)
- Post office
- Some energy suppliers (Direct Energy, EDF, GDF SUEZ)
- Pôle Emploi
- Office of National Service
- Prefecture for car registration.
In the month following the move, register new address
- Car Registration (certificat d'immatriculation) (mandatory)
- National identity card or passport (optional)
- Foreigners must change address on residence permit (mandatory) or EU residence card
- Request a refund for lost or damaged goods by the mover. See letter.
Arrange for the post to redirect any mail
Before 31 December
- Register to vote in new town
Within 6 months following the moveFor all links see: http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F14128.xhtml
- If you have at least 3 children, request a moving allowance from the Caisse d'Allocations Familiales (CAF). The city and department can sometimes give financial support during a move.